The Trinity Steeple
Trinity Church Steeple and Arnot Memorial Chapel
The cornerstone of the present church building was laid on July 26, 1855 and the church was completed in 1858 at a cost of $30,000. The building was designed in the American Gothic style by architect Henry Dudley of New York City; the builders were Nichols and Washburn of Albany. Dudley was renowned for church architecture, his trademark being spires of the same material as the building. Thus Trinity has a steeple (consisting of a tower and spire), which is of the same brick construction as the church. It is one of only a few of its kind in the world. The Trinity steeple, a prominent landmark for the entire Elmira community, was re-pointed in 1986 and reconstructed in 2007. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Arnot Memorial Chapel was given by Marianna Arnot Ogden and consecrated on November 28, 1882. Reminiscent of an old English parish church, it was designed by Richard M. Upjohn, constructed of 13th Century-style brick and stone, and has a sundial above the chancel window.
Further details about both the church and the chapel may be found in the Visitor’s Guide.